Followers

Monday, June 18, 2012

Reflect to Connect


When I think about the phrase “waste equals food”, to me it almost seems impossible to fully grasp how every single little detail of this world can be used for something. How everything has a purpose, literally everything. Waste equals food- to mean really clicks when I compare it to “junk”, antiques, etc. equals a crafting opportunity. Because I had always been raised to pay for things with my own income, starting as a child I learned not to waste, and to spend as little as I could. Being an interior designer, this concept really comes in handy. Most people like me don’t like spending an extensive of amount of money on products. For designers who do use the concept waste equals food, this is an easy way to save our clients money. 

This is important to me because I know there lies a certain quality in several pieces of furniture that get over looked just because of a few scratches or a bad paint job. Because several designers like myself, have an eye for good quality, it makes it easier for us find products to up-cycle and reuse. 

Take for example, if I was to own my own show room, I would love for every item that I sell to either be used or crafted into a great product. I feel like today, several people adore the country chic look just as much as I do. Having my own store that up-cycled furniture would be quite the dream. Another opportunity that could arise when it comes to owning this show room would be informing my customers of the up-cycling process and how it not only benefits them by providing a lower price, but also benefits the environment. 

One of the things I would really like to enjoy learning about next would be learning the safest ways to enhance older furniture. What are types of paints, stains, metals, and woods that are more organic and natural? I really want to dig into what would be the best products that are the least harmful for me as a person to use, as well effecting the environment around us. I think with my future show room in mind, learning these types of products would be incredibly beneficial.

No comments:

Post a Comment