Followers

Monday, June 11, 2012

When looking back over this past week of an intense session of sustainability, the most important issue I learned is that there is a gigantic problem of consumerism going on in this world whether we realize it or not. It really got the wheels turning in my head when I began to think through, "where does all of my old clothes, furniture, bedding, and possessions go when I dispose them?" Do they all really go straight to a landfill? More than likely, yes. A sense of guilt overcame when as I realized I hadn't been doing my best whatsoever to prevent this. This guilt made me even more proactive to be changing the future of my possessions for whenever I am ready to "get rid of" or dispose of them. Learning more about sustainability and how it can truly impact the world around us made it clear to me that I can help with the issue by starting to do the little things myself. After developing a better knowledge of this issue, my new goal is to help discover ways to prevent the situation that has consumed our lifestyles. I want to feed off of ideas that have already been suggested such as recycling, and narrow it down to specific products that are needed to be recycled the most. I want to discover what products are constantly being needed by consumers, and what materials our world lacks the most of. This is my goal for the next few weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment